EU SUPPORTS PROPOSAL TO RESTRICT FOUR PHTHALATES IN ARTICLES
On March 21, 2017, the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) published ECHA/NA/17/05  announcing theCommittee for Risk Assessment (RAC) and the Committee for Socio-Economic Analysis (SEAC) were in support of aproposal  by the ECHA and Denmark to restrict four phthalates (BBP, DBP, DEHP and DIBP) in articles containing plasticized materials.
These articles mainly include:
- Coated fabrics and paper
- Flooring, footwear
- Office supplies and equipment
- Recreational gear and equipment
- Other articles molded from or coated with plastic
The restriction will apply three years from the date of entry into force upon acceptance by the European Commission (EC) and by publication in the Official Journal of the European Union (OJEU). This could be in 2020/2021.
- Articles whose phthalate containing material may be mouthed or is in prolonged contact with human skin or any contact with mucous membranes, and
- Phthalate containing articles that are used (including stored) in an interior space where people are present under normal and reasonable conditions and potentially exposed by inhalation. This does not apply to articles that are used only in industrial or agricultural workplaces by workers.
(individually or sum)
G.I.T.O will follow up and inform interested parties as developments on REACH regulation occur. Our expertise combined with consultancy services and experience in consumer product supply chains provides a central point of contact for global solutions.
If you would like to learn more about how SGS can support your REACH compliance activities